While many people choose to hire a car accident attorney immediately after they’ve been involved in a car crash, others are hesitant to do so. They don’t consider their injuries serious enough to justify filing a claim. Unfortunately, however, this is a major mistake that can be detrimental to a person’s health and financial well-being.
Many common injuries sustained in motor vehicle accidents become progressively worse with time. What’s more, some medical issues may not present themselves for days. For example, head injuries, even minor ones, often start out as headaches that don’t arise until several days later. That’s why it’s important to seek immediate medical care, regardless of whether you think you’re hurt.
Once you ’ve received medical care, you may soon realize that your medical expenses and lost wagesare adversely affecting your financial situation. And if you need ongoing medical care, you need to ensure that you have the financial means to pay for it. This is when you should consider consulting a personal injury attorney who can advise you on the best course of action to ensure that your rights are protected.
When Hiring a Car Accident Attorney Is the Best Course of Action
There are several scenarios that are best handled by consulting with an attorney. Some of the most common include:
- If you have sustained severe or chronic injuries.like whiplashor trauma to the spine
- If medical bills are not completely covered by insurance, and are expected to continue accruing
- If you have lost wages, or expect to be partially or permanently disabled
If you are facing any of these scenarios, you need an attorney who understands the law, and has the means to fight large insurance companies – and win.
What to Expect During an Initial Consultation?
During your initial consultation, your attorney will want to know about the accident, your injuries, and your expectations. This is an opportunity for you and your attorney to get to know one another, so you should prepare for it as much as possible.
Here’s a list of questions you should ask to make sure that the car accident attorney you meet with is qualified to handle your case:
- How much do you charge? Some attorney’s charge by the hour while others work on a contingency basis, which means they are only paid if you win your case.
- What is your area of expertise? Personal injury attorneys specialize in diverse practice areas. It’s important to choose an attorney who is experienced in handling auto accident cases.
- Who will be working on my case? Many law firms use a team of experts who work closely on cases to ensure the most favorable outcome.
- What is my case worth? Although it’s difficult to know exactly how much a case is worth right of the bat, your attorney should be able to give you some insight into what you may be able to
Have You Been Injured in an Automobile Accident?
At Daniel Williams & Associates,weknow how difficult it can be to recover after sustaining serious physical and emotional injuries in a car accident. If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident, contact us today at (713) 229-9997 to schedule a free consultation and review of your case.